There are a lot of ways to bring people to your Etsy Shop.
You can try Social Media, ads on Facebook, or Etsy's Promoted Listings, or develop a strong following on Pinterest and Instagram. And in some cases, those strategies might work great for your Etsy Shop.
But having strong keywords on Etsy is always going to be the best strategy to bring people to your Etsy Shop.
When people are on Etsy browsing around, they are already in the mindset to buy something soon. There are only a few other websites that do the same thing, such as Amazon, Ebay and Yelp.
But when people are on Instagram or Facebook, they are looking to socialize. And when they're doing a Google Search, they are most likely looking up information - not necessarily to buy something.
On Etsy, people are browsing around looking to buy something soon. It may be that they want to buy something right now, or they're planning to make a purchase within the next few days. And the main way they find something roughly similar to what they're imagining in their mind is to type in a couple of keywords to see what comes up in an Etsy Search.
The trick here is to choose the right words that Customers try typing in and then match your Etsy Listings accurately to those keywords. Some keywords work better than others. Even if you have good keywords and you show up high in search results, your product might not match those keywords very well. And so no one ends up clicking on your Item.
But if you match the right Keywords to the right Etsy Listing, then you'll end up lots of views for that item. And the more views you get, the more likely you'll get a sale. And every time you get a sale, your Etsy Listings gets bumped up higher in Etsy Search results. And you'll continue to get lots of great benefits from having good keywords, views, and sales.
So it's absolutely crucial to choose the right keywords for each of your Etsy Listings. If any of your Etsy Items are getting less than 5 Keyword Searches within the last 30 Days, then you'll likely need to work on improving those keywords to get more views.
It could take you weeks to find the right keyword match. So if nothing works within the next 7 days, try some brand new keywords again, and repeat the process every 7 days until you start to get some more views through Keyword Searches.
Here are some basic principles to keep in mind for having good keywords on Etsy:
- Simple words are always better than complex, unique words.
- Make sure to use commas to separate keyword combinations.
- Two-word and three-word combinations tend to work best. They're not too generic, and they're not too specific.
- Never stop thinking of brand new keyword ideas that you have never used before. There are always, always, always new keywords you can try. You can even look in a dictionary or some random place to help you try to be inspired by brand new keyword concepts. Every day, I always encounter new keyword ideas I never even imagine would have worked before.
- Try to get at least 15 Keyword Views to an Etsy Listing within the last 30 days. Usually, items with 15 Keyword Views have about 100 Total Views in the last 30 days. And, on average, you should be getting a 1% conversion rate, which means you should aim to get 1 Sale per item per 30 days. This is just a general rule of thumb, but it's a really good standard that's realistic that you should try to aim for.
Keep at it and always work on your Etsy Shop. And never forget that Keywords should be your number one area to totally master on Etsy.