There is no best item to sell on Etsy, but there are good products and bad products.
When developing products for your Etsy shop, it's important to think through the following questions:
- How long will it take me to make this item?
- How much will it cost to make the item?
- Is this item going to be popular in the future, instead of the past?
- Is there a lot of competition for this kind of item?
- Can I create a niche, brand or unique style that is hard to find elsewhere?
- Will it be hard to get supplies in the future if I get a lot of sales?
- Is this product design consistent with my overall brand?
These things are important to quickly think through as you decide what to sell. In terms of the best selling items, these categories tend to do well:
- Jewelry is always a best seller for holidays, special events, weddings, anniversaries and the seasons. Just make sure to sell niche items and not make generic items as it is oversaturated on Etsy.
- Clothing is popular, especially for babies or special occasions, like newborn outfits, family photography clothings, wedding gowns or bridesmaids clothing. Typically, gift clothing or special event clothing does best.
- Home Decor is a great way to create an extensive product line with tables, chairs, artwork, vases and other styles on Etsy. It's a lot of work to make these larger items, but there is a large market for unique, high-quality furniture and decor.
- Fashion accessories are always popular with women, especially unique handbags, purses, wallets, or headbands, scarves, bandanas, and so on. Women are always looking for something new and unique, so this is a great category to work with.
- Pet accessories are an even better category on Etsy. The more unique the better. If you can't find it anywhere else, then people will go to Etsy to find something super "unique" that they cannot find anywhere else, and that is the whole point of selling on Etsy.
- Wedding items, like stationery, decor, gifts, and clothing are very popular on Etsy. These days, most people want a really unique wedding that is specific to their tastes, and are willing to pay extra to find something super unique.
- Vintage items are what people initially used to go on Etsy for, and vintage, rustic items are extremely popular today as people value older things that they can't find anywhere else. This is a great category to experiment with and do some creative things with.